Do you ever feel unable to break the loop of not seeing your top priority through?
As if procrastination was an outside force you have no control over?
So many theories to overcome it, methods, to-do apps, strategies and yet when you enter the loop, it feels almost impossible to break out.
Children till the start of teen hardly ever procrastinate. They do forget tasks but not in procrastination. They will complete their top priority task at the first chance they get. This is because their time continuum is not as tight as ours. We see tomorrow connected to today, our perception of time is different to that of a child.
Children see everyday as an opportunity, as a new beginning. They die every night to be born again the next morning new. An adult only gets that feeling in life-transitioning events; a long journey, an imminent lifestyle change, a recovery from an unfortunate event, change of job etc.
In normal life most of the people resemble a puppet with actions limited by the constrains of our repetitive reality.
Q1 •Can I break the procrastination loop?
– Not without changing your life. You cannot keep doing the same thing and expect different results”
Q2 •Is there a loophole to escape from?
– Yes there is. Introduce pressure as a variable in your life. Not as a form of a random stress factor but as a personal agenda to achieving a goal, or walking on a path.
Q3 •I’ve tried self-applied pressure in that form and doesn’t work, i revert to procrastination. How should i proceed?
– Try again but this time remove back-tracking from the equation. Visualize a one-way street that only leads to completion of the task. Think of it as a game’s mission you need to complete so you can move to the next level.
Q4 •This doesn’t work either, i have tried every possible configuration and I always backtrack to doing nothing of the things i want to do. Now what??
– Accept your life as it is and remove all personal conquering thoughts from your mind. Clear out your goals and dreams, your missions and paths. Just be in the “here and now” with no expectation or anticipation. There is no shame in that kind of living.
Q5 •I understand a holistic life change will be helpful but it will affect those tied to my life. What if i loose them?
– If those close to you leave as a result of your actions to better yourself, it is obvious their feelings for you are not healthy. Let them leave.
The most important thing is not to allow procrastination render you incapable. It’s not an inability to perform the task, it’s just a block. Imagine a clamped car wheel; it has the ability to spin, it’s the clamp that does not allow it to.